Sunday, December 27, 2009

We like our "O's," our "A's," and our "R's!"



Roar!

Okay, that's just funny.

I didn't even think about that, I just simply typed "Roar" because it was the first thing I said and the clearly natural thing to do.

It coincidentally contains the very letters I'm referring to.

And if you LIVE where *I* live, it's pronounced...Rrrrrrr-OAR!

Or, "Rrrr-OR - now, fuck off" if you're being short and curt and just trying to get rid of the annoying person who is asking you to say "Roar" 18 times when you're trying to do something else constructive with your life.


Go ahead.
Practice it a few times.
Let it roll off the tongue.
I'll wait.

filing my nails while I wait in an East Coast style where it's a curved arch verses West Coast style which is flat and straight across...

There's been a lot of talk lately in my world about accents.  Because of this, I've decided to do a several part series on Western New York and a little bit about what it's like to live here.

I live in Rochester, New York.
Upstate.
Rochester.
It's not Row-chess-ter.

stare

If you pronounce it that way, we will throw you off the bridge into the Genesee River (pronounced Jenna-see River) and they'll find your washed up body sometime in spring.

You don't want that, do you?
No, I didn't think so.

It's pronounced RAh (like Rah, Rah, Rah - Eye of Ra) - chester.
A lot of us will draw the Rah out like:  RAAaaah - chester.

We LOVE our Hard A's here.
We never drop our R's.
And our O's are special to us - but sometimes get trumped by our innate need to turn them into soft A's.

Chicago's accent isn't very far removed from ours.
I could understand what everyone was saying when I lived there.

We say Pop.
Not soda.
POP

We have white hots and red hots.
Red hots are beef.
White hots are pork.
You'll order a white hot and a hamburger; not a hot dog and a Burger.

We're surrounded by a lot of Native American names.  Tonowanda (Ton like Don with a "T"-a-Wan-da),  Irondequoit (Irrr-on-da-kwoit), Seneca, Syracuse, Canadaigua (CAN-i like in the word id-dagg like day with a g at the end-wa) and of course, Buffalo.

Hence our famous Buffalo Wings.
...and pizza that kicks ass - even better than Chicago.
though that will always be a cold war

We do NOT say Harrible.
There's no A in horrible.
It's HORRible.
Like whore-ible.

It's not finance like finnesse.
It's FI-NANCE.
With the emphasis on FI like the beginning of FIve.

We don't have Junior-Senior Proms here.
We have a Junior Prom and a Senior Ball.
They're not the same thing.

We have a town called Chili.
It's not like the food or the cold ass weather we sport.
It's pronounced CHI-LIE.

We have a place called Charlotte beach.  It's not much of a beach, it's more like some dirty sand that backs up to Lake Ontario with hospital syringes washed up on it, but it's still proudly ours.

It's NOT pronounced like the town in North Carolina.
That's Char-LET.
This is Char-LOT.

The town Avon is not pronounced like the Avon Make-up company.
It's pronounced AV like the beginning of Avenue-ON.
It's our exception to the beloved hard A rule.

It's not a swimsuit, it's a bathing suit.
It's not tennies or tennis shoes; they're sneakers.
It's not a highway, it's simply:  I-90, 590N, 390W.

If it takes more than 10-15 minutes to get there; it's far away to us.

Our traffic area is called the "Can of Worms"

We have things like Florida rooms - which is just a back porch that's been enclosed with a few windows.

We have storm doors and windows.

We have Lake Effect snow, which means we essentially, make our own snow on top of what gets dumped on us.

We have Canadian coins mixed in with our change.  No one tries to use their paper money here or their $1 (loonie) or $2 (toonie) coins; but you will see their pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters.

Vending machines usually spit them out, but you can use them at stores.

I didn't realize until recently, well, today - that people actually pronounce the word chocolate (cho-co-late) a different way than us, which is:  chalklit.  I want extra credit for using a K instead of a C there.

We are not like Brooklyn or Albany.
We don't add W's in the middle of words.
It's HOT (like NOT); not hawt.
It's TAL (like tall)-K; not tawlk.

We drive our cars to the park and pronounce every r in that sentence.
We don't say N'York- ever.
We always say the full New York City.

In Southern states the plural of you all is: y'all.
In Upstate New York the plural of you all is: yous.

Unless you're talking about more than one person; in which case it's:  yous twos.
laughs...true...

WE WILL SAY "YOU PEOPLE" - and it means EXACTLY THAT.
You people - whatever group of people you're referring to.
It's not gender specific or racially specific.

If I have a bunch of four year olds in front of me and I say, "You people need a beating!" - I mean the group of four year olds in front of me.

If I'm at a family gathering and I say, "You people need a beating!" - I mean the whole group of family members in front of me.

If my kids are in front of me and I say, "You people need a beating!" - I mean yous guys need a beating.

It's not complicated.
No one takes offense.

Okay, one obnoxious thing we do that I must admit is - you'll hear a lot of fer in place of for.  For is suppose to sound like the number four.  Here it mostly takes on the sound of fur or fer.

It's not pleasant.

Points go to Albany for knowing how to say the word for.

We don't have Bar-B-Ques.
We have cook outs.

We don't have washrooms or water closets; we have bathrooms.
It's not a parka; it's a coat or jacket.
If someone said, "yonder" we'd know they were a tourist.
Fuck you is sometimes a term of endearment.
"Not for nothing" was a hard phrase habit to break.

"The City" is New York City.
"Downtown" is Rochester.

We are home of the World Famous "Garbage Plates" - which to this day I can't bring myself to eat.  I have been quoted saying, "I'm not eating anything that results in making a plate stick to a table like that."

I do, however, enjoy the thrill of living through the parking lot on the way to the doors of the restaurant.  That's always a challenge at 3am.

We have our own landmark version of Monopoly here in Rochester called "City in a Box" and  the Garbage Plate restaurant called Nick Tahou's is featured in it.

We have the best cheesecake in the World.
Yes, I said it... best pizza (shut up Chicago!) and best cheesecake...

Cot and caught do NOT sound like the same words here!
Oh my God
Cot - the ot is like the beginning of otter.
Caught - rhythms with sought.

Pin and Pen do NOT sound like the same words here!
Pin - like Tin.
Pen - like Zen.

Don and dawn do NOT sound like the same words here!
Don - the 'on' is exactly that, ON.
Dawn - rhythms with fawn.

We like the word "the" - you're not going "to hospital" you're going "to THE hospital".
Don't dis the "the!"
LOVE the "THE!"
And you'll be taking "THE I-90" to do it!

Newscasters need to stop saying, "The white stuff is heading our way" and just call it "snow" because it's not candy-coating it in the least for any of us.  We're not new here.  Just say what you mean, "You're going to be buried under a fuckload of snow soon.  See you in April!"

Fine.

Doctor sounds more like DOCK-tor here.

We like the looooong O's... even if they sound like a hair away from being an Aaaah.
Daaahktor.

Fantastic is emphasized like this:  FAN-TAS-tick.

I just found this - and I LOVE this guy!
NEW YORK ENGLISH!
He's dead on!
I must meet him.
I'll be writing him later.







/laughs...he says, "Oh my God" like I do in that above one...




I can HEAR my accent when I say, "This" and "That".

lmfao...
Responses to greetings:

Responses should be short and positive.
Why?  Because no one cares about your troubles or the state of your mental health.  If you want to have a conversation, hire a therapist or go talk to the bartender.

Oh my God - I freakin' LOVE this guy.
Yes.
We must be friends.

WE LIKE FAST!
We like to drive fast.
Move fast.
TALK fast.
Shop fast.
Get in and out of whatever store FAST.

This is NOT offensive!
This is efficient!

No loitering!
Move along!

You've received your food from the drive thru.  Great!  We're fucking happy for you - now get your ass OUT OF THE WAY!  Sort out the shit in your car on YOUR time!  We don't care where you do it, just DON'T DO IT HERE!

And you're not allowed to get indignant when someone beeps the horn at you because you're an inconsiderate prick and should know better.  You know you're fucking up the fine art of drive thru cuisine.  MOVE IT!

Always use your blinker...but for the LOVE OF GOD, you only need to give about 5 seconds of notice before you execute.  It's not a negotiation!  It's not a give and take.  You're just informing the rest of us that you're going to do "this" and we should not plow into you in the process of you doing "that" - We're good!  Right on.  Noted.  Now DO IT and get it OVER WITH.  We've got places to go!

"Excuse Me" is not a give and take either.  "Excuse Me" is similar to the above.  I'm not asking  you to move at your discretion.  It's simply a polite way of telling you to get the fuck out of my way.

It's much more polite than, "MOVE IT, INGRATE!  DID YOU GO TO SCHOOL ON THE SHORT BUS?  YOU SEE ME STANDING HERE, RIGHT?  DO I LOOK LIKE I'VE GOT ALL GOD DAMN DAY TO WAIT AROUND FOR YOU TO DECIDE THAT YOU SHOULD DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN BE IN MY WAY!"

Oh my God...

If approach #1 doesn't work; you always have approach #2 to fall back on.
It's good to have a back-up plan.

And that person would have to SUCK IT UP AND TAKE it.
They're IN THE WRONG.

If you're holding up production in any way, you're in the wrong and you owe everyone an apology.

Okay!
That's today's lesson!
You people take care, I got a thing...

I love this state...

14 comments:

  1. There's is no way I will remember any of this. But I will have to remember hamburger because that will be on the top of my list. And the blinker thing, THANK YOU! I will point this out to my wife. We will be driving down I-15 (see, I am learning already) and she will turn on her blinker and if nobody let's her in she will turn it back off. Five seconds later she turns it back on and I am yelling at her that people don't like that shit and she is going to get us killed. Just turn the damn thing on and get in the other lane before we effing die.
    I need to print this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something Happened Somewhere Turning
    laughs!!

    My late father-in-law use to say things like, "Oh, that's easy - just take the Tree-90 to the I-590 and get off at such and such exit..."
    I loved that guy...

    Yet, I only hear 441, 104, 250 and 81 as stand alone numbers. I have no idea why.

    Traffic this morning - lots of accidents. It snowed some last night. If you click on the purple dots, you can see a webcam for each spot. There's not much of a delay on it.

    We got a few inches and are expected to get 3-5 more tonight sometime with the Lake Effect thing we've got working for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even in the video, people are just zipping along - of course, this may be why there's been 13 accidents already listed on that page. Sheesh.

    Even so, no one takes very long to pass anyone or change lanes.
    laughs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be a love pharmacist.....

    Ok, I'm going to get some mileage out of that one.

    If someone was giving away free hugs at the Marketplace Mall, yeah, 3 minutes later he would have been a bloody pulp with no wallet, cell phone or dignity left. And thats after the mall security got done with him!


    I buy the big packages of white hots. I think they are either 5 or 10 pound bags. I got four of those. They have to last me all year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. J.D. - Seriously, who does that... I can't even picture seeing that anywhere here. I was perplexed. I had to watch it twice and then skim right past the whole listing of that being done in other parts of the world.

    WHO DOES THAT?!
    And don't touch me!
    I don't know you!
    Oh my God...

    YOU'RE JUST LOOKING FOR A CHEAP FEEL!
    Omg...

    It's sort of... disturbing.

    Erin - Probably.
    He brings me joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you're going to get arrested, might as well do it right.

    http://java-girl.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/mammograms.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I totally loved this - I think Buffalonians call it "The 90" no i.... and what about Batavia not "Baht a vee ah".

    didn't get a chance a twork to watch the vid's - something for home later. :-)

    What do you mean you'd never eat a plate - OMG I am wondering if you even belong here - I must chalenge you to do it. It is all the goodness that is Raaaachester.

    Wimp /stares
    Outsider /stares

    Roar - get it done

    oooooh - I heard someone say "Nigh a gare ah" river this summer - do you know where that is??? is it near the Niagara river?

    can we really mess people up too - like Cheektowaga and Skajaquada - it kills me when the people at corporate in K.C. try to pronounce those...

    I'll talk to yous later - I think you still need me to leave my coffee cup in the center of the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get it right - RAWR! And it means "I love you" in dinosaur. I'll buy you the shirt that says so. For the purpose of your post though, I'll let it slide.

    Genessee River. Oofah. Any question why I don't drink the beer of the same name?

    I refuse to say "pop" unless it's in the context of the old Batman TV show. BIFF! ZOWIE!

    White hots are delicious, and proof that vegetarians are whack jobs. And speaking of hots, no one else on the planet has any idea what a good hot is. Hoffmans? Sahlens? Sabretts? Nathans? You can keep that shit. And don't even get me started on Ball Park and Oscar Mayer. Zweigles hots are proof that there is a higher power.

    I never used "the" before any of the numerical roadways. Nothing against it, just something I never picked up.

    We have Lake Effect snow because we all pissed off Mother Nature in a past life.

    I say y'all because it irritates people, and because I become homicidal when someone says "yous" or "guyses". OMG my temperature is rising as I type this...

    Fuck you is *usually* a term of endearment.

    We are getting garbage plates, and we're doing it proper and doing it while drunk. I'm buying, and I know what you drink.

    Afterward, you can introduce me to that cheesecake.

    'Nuff said regarding snow forecasts. You're hired.

    Remind me to hug you for explaining the proper use for "excuse me". We can even do it at Eastview Mall. RAWR!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. I must admit that NY pizza is vastly better than Chicago pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admit it...

    Poptatari cornered me and we got a drink and I was introduced to a garbage plate awhile ago. I've never seen someone so happy to get another person to eat something.

    laughs

    The day was memorialized on his journal.

    LoC - welcome to the right side of pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh!
    And Rain... welcome to the write up!

    and... you know... thanks for not calling me a stalker... even if I wasn't going to give up until we became friends...

    LOVE the videos!

    ReplyDelete