Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Cougar

Have you seen this God forsaken show?
It's safe to say that it's fair play to The Bachelor.

You know, I have no idea why I torture myself like this...

If you don't already know, it's a show about May/December relationships.
Except the twist is, it's not the older guy/young girl combination.
It's the older woman/young boy combination.

stare

Since the boundary lines seem unclear, I'm going to make an official ruling.
Read it carefully.


If the guy is young enough to be someone that you could have given birth to - pick someone else.

I'm slightly distressed that this needs to be pointed out.

If his parents named him after a current boy band - don't even speak to him!

Once again for the slow or confused people...I don't want you to miss this important message...

If the person you're looking at could have conceivably come out of your womb - STOP LOOKING.

When we do things that we chastise men for, it doesn't make us even.
It makes us equally wrong.

If he's played video games with your son in high school - avert your eyes!

Grown men shouldn't be dating teenage children.
Grown women shouldn't be dating teenage children.

If he can't tell you one band that was alive when you grew up - move along!

Seriously, does this need to be said?

I laughed my ass off when this 40 year old woman announced that she was searching for "true love".
WHERE?!
On the set?!
With a kid?!

Look, I get it. I get that when women hit 32/34 or somewhere around there, something kicks in and you want to scale every man around you that doesn't speak and piss you off. Everyone is a potential suspect. You just suddenly become geared to thinking like that and the process is instantaneous.

When that happened to me, I called one of my best platonic male friends and just yelled at him.
laughs...
I said, "Oh my God, what in the HELL happened HERE?!"
He laughed and said, "Welcome to becoming a teenage boy"
bastard...

Then we had a whole conversation with me all distressed, because really, I liked my mind just the way it was. Suddenly everything was colored by sex. I don't mean, "hear to please you, care about you, love you" sex - I mean, "I don't really care what you want, I don't need your help, shut up, lay there and don't speak" sex.

My friend said, "That's how guys live their whole lives, til around...32/34"
I actually pulled the phone away from my ear just to stare at it.

"Hello? Hello? Did I lose you?"
"Okay, first off... if this is what you guys deal with on a daily basis, WHY DO WE LET YOU RUN ANYTHING?!"
He said he had no idea.

"I understand war now"
He laughed.
Because there are exactly two options before you: lay it or kill it.

I ranted for two hours.
He laughed for 1 hour and 52 minutes of it.

Let me be clear, this is not the frame of mind you're in when your mouth should be lying and saying the words, "I'm looking for true love"

Fuck you.
You are not.
You're looking for a toy.
Preferably one without vocal cords.

Then I polled my female friends. They were even LESS help. I got things like, "Get use to it, that will last about 20 years"

dead silence...

Just yesterday I had a doctor tell me that women in their 40's produce more hormones than at any other point in their lives.

Thanks.
That's my subtle way of telling you that it only gets worse. Matter of fact, with me, it gets worse every two years. Faithfully.

This has been going on for the last 7 years.

So, I get it.
I get it.

But really, let's not parade around a show that says it promotes "finding true love" between a 40 year old woman and a kid barely out of high school. Let's call it what it really is, "The 40 year old hormonal woman looking for young guy with stamina and no conversation show".

Truth in advertising.
I'm all for it.

That said, it just really shouldn't exist at all.

At this point in life, you have to have your logic fully in place and your rules and standards have to be rock solid.

That poor kid IS going to fall for you and when you're done using him as a toy, he's going to be heart-broken. At some point, he's going to look at you - you, who are a good 20 years older than he is - and think, "Man, this chick is OLD"

How is that a good day?

And then to have four kids OLDER than the guy you're dating - well, that's just a recipe for disaster.
New rule!


If you think the kid is too old for your daughter to date by a few years; you can't date him either!

Oh my God...
If he graduated with your son - don't date him!

I live my whole life with the idea that when you tell someone something, no matter how many words you use to back up a statement - there has to be ONE SENTENCE that sums up exactly what you're trying to say.

Pick any of the sentences in bold.
Print them out as a reminder.
Write it out on post it notes and stick them all over your house.

If you're thinking about lapsing in some way, CALL ME. I'll talk you down. It'll be like having an AA sponsor.

"Hello? Is this Razors and Vines? I'm thinking about doing a young boy again. Hurry! HELP!"

I'll be right there on the other end of the phone saying things like, "Do you really want to be his Prom date?" and, "What would his parents say? Did you go to high school with THEM?!" and, "I did the math, do you realize that little Johnny there wasn't even BORN when YOU went to Prom?".

Trust me on this one - I could come up with more statements along those lines if I get on a roll and have clearance.

Honestly, I empathize.
I really do.
I...get...it...
I even get wanting to play teacher.
It doesn't make it right though.

I have two more points to make.

One, I just about laughed my ass off when Ms. Cougar there had all the boys write a note and stick it in a jar saying what their deepest darkest secret/worse thing they ever did was.

One wrote something about cheating on his girlfriend in 9th grade. That's the only thing I recall. The rest were equally as pitiful though. But then the golden words graced my ears, "I'm not sure these guys are being honest about their past"

WHAT PAST?!

Five years ago, these kids were passing notes back and forth going, "Do you like me? Check one. ___Yes or ___No"

If you're going to be receiving social security the year he gets out of college - pick someone else!

In all fairness, these boys may not be morons.
I'm sure they'll grow up to be lovely human beings.

They are NOT, and never will be, in the same league as a 40 year old woman though.
NOR should they even want to!
And society shouldn't want to promote that EITHER.

Second point...

Stop discounting older guys! We get highly pissed off when society says that women over 25 are less. What a crock. I do NOT want to see the same thing happen to men.

Again, doing the same thing to men does not make us even.
It makes it equally wrong.

Short of unswerving stamina that young guys supply; put side by side - the older guy has far more to offer. He's established. Has a greater sense of the world and how it works. Isn't still living home with his parents. Knows how to do his own taxes. Has fought long and hard to learn his trade and has a better appreciation of women.

And chances are he's probably been divorced once or twice and understands that if he screws you over, you're smart enough to not just take it laying down.

He's interested in his own security. He knows how to fix stuff around the house. Knows how to take care of a yard. Knows he can't drive like a maniac and takes care of his car. Isn't relying on others. Understands risks and the consequences.

He's been to the best restaurants and has a sense of taste and style. He's gone through the bullshit, "I have to look at everything with a pulse" phase. He's more apt to think about being settled and knows the price to pay for that.

He's looking for quality versus quantity.

He may have slowed down some sexually, but that still works to your advantage. It's in your best interest. He's taking his time thinking about you and what you want. This is not gratitude. This is consideration borne out of a life lived.

A guy your own age grew up with the same things you did.
There's value in that.

He may not double as a jack hammer 15 times a day for 10 minutes at a time. Who cares though in the big scheme of things? At some point, you're going to be staring at him across the kitchen table sipping your coffee and it's going to hit you that you two have nothing to talk about. You've lived your life TWICE in the time he's taken his first breath. He probably doesn't even know what FICA means or what a 401K is let alone know the functions of a g-spot.

One more comment about the jack hammer concept...
I'll take a really good hour or two a day over 15 times a day at 10 minute intervals.

Think about it. You're at your peak for the next 20 years. He's slowed down to the point where he considers looking at your face. It's NOT a bad deal!

If you do it right too, there's no reason what-so-ever, short of medical, that you can't make him feel like he's 18 again. All that tension is right below the surface. Always. It just becomes your job to bring it back out. How the hell hard is that to bring out when you're in your prime? It isn't. Make him understand that he's the center of your tension and that's it.

I may be projecting, but I don't think so.

I expect whomever I'm with to view me as the be all, end all of sex.
BECAUSE I AM.
Do that and you'll never want.
Ever.

The formula is so utterly simple it's almost painful. Make me feel like that and you won't even notice that other women exist. You'll be too busy and too tired.

That's the pay off.

Let me end by reiterating once more...


If he calls someone else your age, "MOM" - go to confession and ask for absolution for the thoughts you've been having about him and don't do it again!

13 comments:

  1. Very well put. If you're going to be going into diapers before he comes outta them, you KNOW you shouldn't be messing with him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LadyStyx *wave* *hi!*

    Hmmm....I have to say I went through a major hormone rush mid 30s till....now? And I snagged my current hubby during that time. I had no idea he was younger than me (7-8 years). Not unacceptable....but disconcerting. My just turning 50 and him being 42 is ok, but when I start to think about 60, well my toes curl a bit.

    Even so, I'm keeping him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pop and Ice - You could not have given birth to him - you're golden!

    Welcome, LadyStyx - I saw you posted the other day. I spent a good portion tonight listening to your music on your pink panther page. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. As an older chap myself I appreciate that you can view my peers as fine wines o aged cheeses - something to be enjoyed. As a victim of the cougar phenomena I wish those words of advice were imprinted everywhere.

    Always your fan...when my Alzheimer's isn't kicking in /grins /jking

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ads by Google:
    OLDER WOMEN SEEKING MEN
    Men Want To Date In Your Area> Women Seeking Men. Results on Ask!
    Women-Seeking-Men.ask.com

    ---
    Well they got THAT one sort of right...
    /laughs

    Except they're just saying, "men" - because, what, older women just need help in all areas?

    ---

    PM - That's the thing... it SHOULD be obvious. However, it's the new rage now and it's only going to get worse.

    [Again, not even - just equally wrong]

    All growing up my ruling was, "I can't date anyone younger than my brothers" - they're 4 1/2 years younger than I am.

    All their friends are off limits like that.

    The spread does get a little wider the older you get. Two years from 10th grade to 8th grade is a HUGE gap. The gap between 42 and 40 is nothing.

    I just turned 41 this January.

    My former husband (technically still husband even though we haven't been together in two years) is 38; turns 39 in August.

    And to this DAY, I tease him about being from a different generation.

    You and I were born in the 60s - he was born in 70. It bugs the shit out of him when I say that to him, but I can't help but see it that way.

    We had 80s music.
    He was from the Industrial/Techo music era.
    That disqualifies him from being from my generation!
    /laughs

    Now, that said - when you're 90 in a nursing home with me, I won't hide your medication and toss your walker in the garbage dump if you want to chase a 70 year old.
    /bright smile

    ReplyDelete
  6. And for cryin' out loud, I just saw you a few months ago. You look better than guys 20 years younger than you anyway. So, you have NOTHING to even think about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Older Man Young Woman
    Free to Join. 1000's of pictures of Handsome Single Older Men
    www.BabyBoomerPeopleMeet.com

    Older Women Cougars
    Watch The Cougar On TV Land New Episodes Every Wed at 10/9C
    www.tvland.com/prime

    ---

    /just laughs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww thanks r&v! Time to update that page again. Typical Leo, ya know, not happy with keeping things as they are. Always gotta have change.

    P&I, my bestie was that same way. About 6-7 years difference between her and her hubby (her being the older of the two). No with me, it's only about 9 months difference....but he's the one that looks older ;). ~I~ still get carded now and again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was great!

    on the other hand....

    laughs

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think men are remotely like females. I think it's totally O K to use their asses 24/7!

    USE USE USE!!

    They don't have feelings!

    Come on!

    Get off on a young stud today! It's O K!

    laughs

    And btw? The older man you described?

    He's a capricorn.

    The other 11 signs are a pain the ass.

    I like all your morals.

    Unfortunately? I have none!

    21, you're fair game.

    18 is too babyish.

    AND BTW??

    You don't HAVE a daddy complex at all do you!

    Who's going to fufill all the Mommy Complex guys?

    omg...

    I was just thinking the other day...

    When george michael sings 'baby i'm your man' at like age 24...

    I would be all over his ass atm at 37!

    NO MORALS!! NONE!!

    I'M NOT KIDDING!! I would so so so use/work/indulge in him without a second thought.

    smiles

    ReplyDelete
  11. And i'm not talking about love, either. Just FUCKING HIM. Is there a problem??

    I could so be his prom date! OMG!! we'd be a total scandal!!!

    I'M SO THERE!!

    and that Cougar show is so fucking pathetic. OMG. she is SUCH a self-centered retard. and the guys on there except that one guy who wrote the poem? omg they are all SO STUPID.

    that show is fucking scary and i have to say i blush watching it. not becuase of the sex aspect. just the retardedness.

    I myself have a serious DADDY fixation. I love that. It totally gets me off. What about the guys who have a Mommy fixation?

    Who do they fuck if they need maturity?

    did i mention i lovvvvvvvvvvve you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. And this was really really really funny and well written. I just have no morals only that one ethic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to come along so late in a great debate. I'd love to split this in half. First, the show. You summed it up well here: "Fuck you. You are not. You're looking for a toy. Preferably one without vocal cords."

    For the record, it is hard not to pee oneself when someone speaks issues plainly in these instances. You nailed it. Let's be honest, this woman could easily have just measured penises and biceps, asked them to shut up to avoid ruining the moment and had sex with the winner on camera to seal the deal.

    Next, I think it is a good idea to recognize that people can choose. You wrote: "But really, let's not parade around a show that says it promotes "finding true love" between a 40 year old woman and a kid barely out of high school. Let's call it what it really is, "The 40 year old hormonal woman looking for young guy with stamina and no conversation show"."

    OK. With women, I've never dated (high school and university years notwithstanding) a woman less than 10 years older than me, until the last 2 years. I guess either I had to catch up with the women I find attractive or I was ahead of the curve. I always did find younger women boring and superficial.

    Now I have discovered that younger women these days are far more open and fascinating, but I wouldn't date them. Maybe I'm too old, or whatever. At 40, a 20 year old would make me want to hurt something. But I now find 45 year olds interesting.

    Whether I've caught up, or whatever, it doesn't matter. The point is, if you had cut me off from older women at a young age, I would have been miserable - and I must have been at least a little interesting since they enjoyed my company. So let's kill the show and let younger, smarter guys chase intelligent, fun and engaging women :)

    ReplyDelete