Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Obsession

I had a discussion with Erin about a week ago over perfume.  She loves her perfumes and has a really nice collection of them.  The conversation got turned to me and she asked what I own.

I told her:


That's it.
That's my perfume.
That's all I wear.
That's all I've worn since 1986.
I have no intention of that changing.

I've gone through four perfumes in my lifetime:

When I was little:
  • Sweet honesty (Remember that? The days of Bonnibelle lipgloss...)
  • Charlie (welcome to high school)
  • Trouble (Welcome to 12th grade. I LOVED that perfume and then I think they stopped making it.)
Then Good Ole Calvin Klein's Obsession hit the market with his inappropriate ads and everyone had a coronary -- and then I tried it in a store one day.

It was time.  Clearly, it was time - because as a general rule, I try to avoid the perfume counter people like the plague.

I sprayed it into the air and then walked into the mist and...
That.
Was.
That.

From the time I've been out of high school until this afternoon - THAT has been my perfume.  That's it. It is, without question, my signature scent.

I'm also certain that if I change it, a whole LOT of people are going to get mad at me. It's associated. There are many times where I've received a phone call after someone coming into contact with this particular scent again and it reminded them.  Could be years later.  Yes, I've also been yelled at over it as well.  When a scent is so ingrained into a persons memory and the memory doesn't match the reality in front of you - it will cause people to call you up and yell at you for not being the person they ran into wearing it.

24 years.
That was done for a reason.
Everything should be done with a reason.

It violates my sense of loyalty to even consider something else.
Don't try to fix what's not broken.

----
and welcome to:  Carlow, Ireland - Warsaw, Poland - Pedreguer, Spain and Japan and Jack!

4 comments:

  1. My signature scent is Crown Royal. And an occasional Taco Bell fart.

    Outside of that, I'm not telling anyone what I wear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I half-wish you'd have made this public before I sent you Classic Burberry from London - which I wear and felt you HAD to own, and which is really similar to Obsession - and Lolita Lempicka, from France that I fucking adore. I'm still going to send you parfum constantly. I insist. See? i take it back already. I don't wish at all.

    As I previously noted about you and I'm sure everyone remembers me saying...

    I like people who have a signature scent. I sprayed it on my wrist tonight because I wanted to know what she smelled like.

    Instantly classic. Musky. Not sweet. Warm in your nose. Not sweet. Sandalwood. Not sweet. Sensual. Not sweet, but when you smell it it’s like a memory you long-cherished in total secret is flooded back to your brain in a kind of a taboo’d bliss.

    It already reminds me of her.


    You're a Goddess. Anyone who loves you, surely by now, as sent you as much parfum as I have.

    Because everyone knows you send your true love parfum.

    Everyone knows that.

    Btw, I just sent you six pounds of gourmet Candied Ginger. You mentioned you liked it on the phone. Expect it in a few days.

    Did I mention I think I'm in love with you? I am. Always.

    Come into my room
    of insense and candles
    I got something that you
    won't know how to
    handle
    you can tell me
    nah-uh
    but i know you wanna
    All night
    circles of flowers or
    pyramids of sand
    violet colored diamonds
    U got to understand
    Come and have dinner with me
    Again
    and again...

    -- prince

    Is it spring already?

    Ti'amo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now the house is full of perfume and I keep playing this song and dancing around, singing the words to this song, thinking of you. It's so sexy and very friendly. It's definately a white-condo song. I really love you. Whisperes kisses along both your cheeks, french-style, smiling... 15 springs and counting...

    I've been waiting
    for you baby
    all night long
    So I could ask
    someone to
    play this
    song
    The tune has got a beat
    like it's making love
    Cuz you're the only
    one
    I've been thinking of...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktIWm258Ti0

    ReplyDelete