My daughter taped the show Animal Cops or Animal Rescue (something like that) off the Animal Planet channel. We just watched all three episodes together and I'm mortified.
I don't know if I watch things that make me irate because I never want to forget that there are things to be irate about out in the world or because I really don't want to be ignorant of the things that are going on outside of my house or because I'm afraid I've seen so much that I'm petrified I'm going to get to the point where nothing fazes me.
I'm not sure.
What I do know is that I wanted all the people responsible for all the horrendous things done to these animals - to suffer long and hard.
I watched a story about a puppy so infested with ticks that the insides of this poor animal's ears were black from the colonies of them. His face and body were covered in ticks that were literally sucking the life out of him. His gums were white because he was so anemic. He was so weak, he couldn't move.
I watched a story about another puppy that a bunch of teenage boys decided to put a plastic bag over its head after duct taping it's face shut so it only had enough room for its tongue to be out - then duct taped its legs and arms together. Then left it to die in the heat with a 107 degree temperature.
I watched a story about another dog that had been beaten and HOGTIED, had broken teeth and a bloodshot eye - left to bleed and die in a garbage can.
I watched a story about a Mother dog with 8-9 puppies so malnourished from nursing her litter that you could see all of her bones.
I watched a story about a woman that had 90 cats in her house; complete with two litters of newborns buried so far under garbage in the house that she didn't even know they existed.
I could never be a Police Officer, a Social Worker or do Animal Rescue like these people do.
I'd need bail money constantly.
I'm not cut out for it. I'm a huge sucker and I'd have a house full of animals and kids and people living in my yard in tents because I ran out of room.
Couldn't do it.
That's when Roadkill* decided to trot over, drop her ball in front of me, sit, purr and look up at me patiently waiting for me to throw it for her.
Then I wanted all of those people that did that to those animals to suffer all over again.
Horribly.
It's hard to believe this happens in EVERYONE'S backyard. It just doesn't matter where you live. Neglect is bad enough but outright cruelty is so hard to watch. The best we can do is watch out for the pets around us and make sure that our kids learn from us on how to take care of and treat our pets properly.
ReplyDeleteI can't watch those shows...I get too upset. :-(
ReplyDeleteI have a hard time watching that show too for the same reason. Makes me so sick and sad that people could be that cruel. Everytime I watch, I want to curl up in a ball and cry.
ReplyDeletePublic execution isn't unreasonable in my book.
ReplyDeleteOk - so the exact examples did not occur but that is what I dealt with in my former life...
ReplyDeleteDog doused with Kerosene and set on fire...lives to be rescued.
Dog hung for pitbill bait saved by mailman to be rescued.
.../deep breath
Can't go there anymore.
Poptatari - "Public execution isn't unreasonable in my book." I have said for a long time we can solve the deficit and crime problem by making capital punishment legal and making the execution of the sentencing a PPV event.
okay before I am criticized for it.. think about it. The media sensationalizes crime. Gang Bangers see their peers on TV. No one ever sees what happens afterwards. Soon they are forgotten and replaced by the next star. If you know you will be on TV and you eyes are going to pop out and you'll shit yourself in front of all your peeps you may rethink pulling the trigger. Plus there are enough sick bastards that will pay to watch it that we could be out of the red in no time.
Cheesy Poofs get your Cheesy Poofs show's about to start.
Pop and Ice - you're right!
ReplyDeleteIt's everywhere.
I was telling Grant about this last night. He's in Maryland again and called after reading this and told me about some things that happened in high school that I didn't even know about.
He made an interesting point about a particular male at our school that killed a cat and was proud of it and some other kids that watched on without knowing what was going to happen. He said, "I wonder what it did to those that were watching" - and it was a good point.
If watching human violence, child abuse and neglect can all change our chemical make-up - I can't imagine it's much different seeing animals abused.
AmyK - The only saving grace to them is when there is a happy ending and the animal is then put in a home and spoiled to no ends instead. Those cats though? Only one out of the 90 were adoptable. The rest were too wild. Horrid.
Kelly - I added your journal to my page here. That's how my daughter gets too. I can see it in her face. Then she gets mad like I do. I usually go straight to, "do you see any reason why these people should go on living?"
poptatari - laughs - Meet Ponti Mython! You two probably know each other. You two seem quite united on this issue. You might want to introduce yourselves to each other since I can't.
PM - Tell me who did that...
I do not have names... it was a story related to me when the poor puppy was dropped of at my house by the saint that picked it up from Animal services in Roch NY
ReplyDelete