Friday, September 25, 2009

hardwood floors

I was going over my house the other night and I think I'm going to tackle a project that I both love and loathe. My hardwood floors. I've mentioned before that I have a 100 year old house. I'm still amazed at the craftsmanship that went into building homes in the past. I'm still discovering new things about this house and I've been here for 4 years this month.

This is the front foyer mosaic flooring and the trim around the living room. I often wonder if the divider is real marble or not.


This is the design of the inside border of the living room. The horizontal rows are the divider between the living room and dining room. At one point they were separated rooms and that's clearly where the door use to be and was added later. Later, as in, probably 1912 verses 1910.


I, on a whim, ripped up a corner of the upstairs hallway's ugly rug just to see what was underneath it and discovered this:


It's a matter of time before everyone wakes up one morning and sees the hardwood flooring and a pile of ugly rose-ish carpet in a huge mangled pile at the bottom of the steps.

The corners of the living room design. Maple, Oak and Walnut:


The border of the dining room.


There were approximately 15,000+ nails necessary to put these parquet floors in. I only know this because for some moronic reason when I bought this house, I got it in my head that I should actually nail the nails in a little deeper and fill them.

I have no excuse.
I wasn't even drinking.

I use olive oil on them to make them shine.

Actually, I have no excuse for this decision either.
I'm not drinking.

Maybe I should start.
Sheesh.

5 comments:

  1. absolutely beautiful craftsmanship in those floors. You are very lucky to have them. I am sure it's not all roses with a 100 year old home but think of the history too. But more important the craftsman handy work still as beautiful today as it was then..WOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. You couldnt make flooring like that anymore. It's very unique and beautiful, I definate view of another time. Don't you ever cover those nails!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sad part about homes like that is that eventually one day there won't be any of them left. Do your best to preserve it and don't change a thing. Well...pull up the carpet by all means. If you have any questions don't take advice from anyone under 60 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those floors are gorgeous and unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. be careful with the sander... refinishing floor sis like hanging wallpaper.. you need a knack or it gets all buggered up

    ReplyDelete