Since I got out my frustration over the stupid half question in my last post, I was laying in bed trying to sleep (to no avail, obviously) and one thought lead to another in my mind and next thing I know - I was up to another example of calling things exactly how they are, and how that's a GOOD thing.
That may very well be the longest, most convoluted sentence ever written. Read it a few times if it didn't make sense the first time around, because I assure you that it will eventually.
You were forced to do sentence breakdowns with charts and lines in school.
I know you were!
You can do it!
I have faith!
Here's a Cliff Note example of how my mind works:
"Man, I feel so much better after writing that bitch about that stupid, moronic, half full/half empty question on my journal. I've been meaning to say that to the general public for a long ass time.
I should tell Brian that when he comes over tomorrow too; he'd appreciate my little theory on that. He's all about calling things out for what they really are. I suppose that's why he was a kick ass Cop.
Being a Cop would be a pretty cool job. They have to see things in terms that are very black and white. Their job is to take the law and arrest someone that breaks it and then turn it all over to the D.A., Judge and/or Jury for them to interpret the law as they see fit.
If I could take orders, I would have loved to be a Cop!
Wait a minute, who in the hell am I kidding - I could NEVER be a Cop. I've made that declaration a few dozen times. I know it's true. I'd make it on the streets for about 5.5 hours before I took the law into my own hands and shot some jackass who was doing something so fundamentally wrong that it violated my senses.
I could never do that job. I know my limits. Oh, you want to be a rapist - well, it just so happens that I have a few bullets in this gun - and look at that! One of them has your name on it! Today is your lucky day! Sort of...
"Okay, motherfucker!
Time to die!
Make your peace with God while you can!"
Speaking of which, I should watch that movie, "Black and White" again with Gina Gershon. I love that movie. My favorite part is when she's got the guy in her target and she just SNAPS and she's all like, "Go ahead! You shoot him, I'll shoot you - it'll be FUN!"
Erm... and that's the basics of why I could never do that job, because I would be JUST LIKE HER in that scenario.
Yeah, I could see it now - Internal Affairs would have my number and the number of an Arraignment Judge on speed dial. Then I'd have to figure out how to convince a jury of my peers that the guy actually fell on the bullets six times because he's a klutz.
"How is that MY fault, your Honor?!"
Even I'm not sure I could sell that one. Wow though, if I could - what kind of freakin' win would THAT be. Come to think of it, I bet I might be able to sell that story! If someone can actually get away with a "Twinkies" defense... oh my God, what the hell am I going on about... sheesh... next...
I think one of the best compliments I've ever gotten from Brian is him saying that if we were in the Army together and in War, he would trust me to have his back. That's a huge compliment.
Not that I could ever be in the military either - with my whole lack of, taking orders, thing. It was still a good thing to say.
He's right though, oh my God, if someone took a shot at him I'd go insane and that person would have to pay. I told him that I'm the only one allowed to kill him. NO ONE GETS TO TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME!
I'd give that guy part of my liver if he needed it.
I'm never going to get any sleep this way. I should just get up and get some coffee and write or read or plot. Whatever. Something.
...it goes on and on and on like that.
That's not even scratching the surface, but it should be enough of an example to give you a little insight.
Anyway, in the midst of my silent tirade in my head while laying there, things somehow worked its way around to measuring people with their own measuring sticks.
Not mine.
Theirs.
I'm fairly cool with a large, large number of things. You want to be a polygamist, more power to you. You want to marry your own sex, knock yourself out. You want to tell me flat out that you're a womanizing asshole - okay.
I could, and ironically, have had the following conversation:
Womanizing Dickhead: "I think it would be good to tell you that I'm a bottom of the barrel, womanizing dickhead - all in the name of fair play. Oh, and by the way, I'm 100% against animal cruelty. People that hurt animals should be shot and then subsequently dragged behind a bus doing 45 down a dirt road."
Me: "Okay. Noted. Thanks!"
I'm actually happy for you that you know yourself well enough to understand that about yourself and your sense of honesty made you say that to me. We're cool. I will NOT be surprised when I see you doing your thing. I won't get all moral on you. I won't lecture you. Good for you for doing some soul searching and coming to some kind of conclusion about yourself.
I don't really care.
I've been warned.
Fair enough.
Granted, I won't be dating you. I won't introduce you to any female that I even remotely know and if you look sideways at my sister - I may gouge your eyes out with a fork.
In the vein of keeping even, I feel that that's necessary to say to you so we're both on the same page.
Noted as well?
Good.
We're cool then.
I value direct honesty and I have a huge fear of being misunderstood and there's no point in mincing words.
This in no way precludes us from being friends.
I'm sure you must have some good qualities too.
Even if you don't, you still get credit for being honest with me.
Really, we're cool.
Now, you can try to lay every female with a pulse around me and I'll ignore you and you're totally safe as long as you don't try to involve me. Have at it. I'll even try very hard not to laugh and roll my eyes. It effects us, not at all. Don't worry your pretty little head over it for one second.
If you try to involve me or get me to vouch for you being a good, caring, one-woman man sort - I will totally blow you in in no uncertain terms and then go back to whatever it was that I was doing. So, you know, you probably don't want to involve me.
But we're OKAY!
You be the best bottom of the barrel, scumbag, dickhead womanizer you can be, honey!
You can tell me all about it later when you're done doing what you're doing.
We'll have coffee or something.
This is where the problem comes in...
If I see the same guy outside kicking a dog - that's a BIG NO!
From that point on, you will forever be known as the jackass dog kicker and I don't even want to know your name now. You have violated your own honesty and now you're nothing but a real asshole that I want nothing to do with.
Me: Hey, you - LYING lowlife animal kicker, there's a bus outside waiting for your ass! I hear he's taking the back roads to his next stop! He's got a gun in his glove compartment too. Hurry!"
You broke your OWN rule.
I have no use for you.
No one else put that rule on you, that's something you came up with on your own. If you didn't want to be held to it, you never should have said it to me!
No sympathy.
None.
If you were a dog kicker, you could have just said, "Oh, yeah - and in my spare time, I like to kick animals."
Sure, I would sit there and stare at you to see if you were serious or not. I'll probably suggest a new hobby, like, watching paint dry or sniffing glue - but I'll take you at your word.
I won't be shocked if I see you do it then either. I'll stare again, and possibly throw a rock at you - but I will be forced to say to myself, "well, he DID tell me... I can hardly say I wasn't warned..."
I don't personally know any dog kickers, but my point remains the same...
Say what you mean, mean what you say - and expect that I'll hold you to it.
Otherwise, really, what's the fucking point.
This is a pretty harsh code given how capricious human beings generally are.
ReplyDeleteIt is.
ReplyDeleteIt really shouldn't be though.
Some things I can understand.
Example:
Someone who has been against the death penalty and has spent their entire lives working to abolish it. Fine. That's where you stand. I respect that and won't try to change your mind. We're good.
If somehow, God forbid, crime hits that person's life and harm or death is done to someone they love and they suddenly want the convicted sentenced to death - I can understand that.
Now they have a different perspective.
I get that.
But if you're someone that spends your entire life spewing that everyone should live up to your own morals... and then you're found to be spending $10 million dollars on hookers over the course of the entire last 10 years that you've been preaching to everyone ELSE... well, that's a problem with me.
That will always be a problem with me.
People can make mistakes. People can change their minds. People can do all sorts of things, but if you're going to hold yourself up as one way or another to me - you can't be surprised when I take you at your word.
Know what I mean?
laughs
ReplyDeleteThe way I explained this to Grant just now is by saying...
"Hey, you know your best friend? If he told you his entire life that he hates people that beat old women. He spends his entire life telling you that's the one thing that he really CAN NOT tolerate in people... and then three years later he's convinced of beating an old woman... aren't you going to be pissed?"
He said he understood what I was saying and agreed.
That said, he also has maintained that he doesn't listen to me half of the time and to not really take what he says one way or another to heart.
So, again, I won't be surprised when this subject comes up in the future and he doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about or what his answer was.
Once again, another example...laughs
I think sometimes people have experiences or learn new things that change their point of view. It would be wrong then to rigidly hold to your old views in light of your new experience or inputs, although I understand the point you are making generally about hypocrisy.
ReplyDeleteWow. It's good to see that my mind isnt the only one that takes me off onto miles long tangents everywhere. Now I don't feel quite so alone.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely.
ReplyDeleteThat's why I wrote what I did about the death penalty in response. That I get entirely. Like you said, perspective change. Understood.
I'm just so sick to death of people knowing how/who they are and lying about it - especially when they're trying to push their lying agenda on you.
I'm not even talking about little things like one day you like lemon pie, the next day you hate it. Don't care.
But if you're going to proclaim where you stand on something, at least have the decency to back it up - or don't say it at all.
Frustrating.
What kills me the MOST is, it's their OWN admission. No one is forcing anyone to make the declaration. It's solely yours (the general you, not you specifically).
ReplyDeleteThere's no pressure with me.
I don't really care what/who anyone is.
I do have a huge respect for people that say who they are and what they stand for though - even the ones that stand for nothing. That's OKAY.
There's really no valid reason to lie to me about anything. What do I care? We'll accept each other or we won't.
I mostly do. There are only two things that I really can't deal with.
I do understand that you get my point. I'm just rambling at this juncture. The whole issue just really irks me because essentially, it's for nothing.
Like, as much as you like your cat(s)... if you came out and said, "I would NEVER in a million years abuse any cat"... I don't want to later find out that you're a serial cat killer!... laughs...
LadyStyx - it gets so much worse than that...laughs
laughs
ReplyDeleteCan you tell I come from the state of Eliot Spitzer?
NOT IMPRESSED!
It's like you saying you read a book a day, every day, for nearly your entire life.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE that.
I wish I could do that.
I'm a big reader, I just don't read *that* fast.
I think it's wonderful!
Oh my God though... don't tell me 10 years from now that you're really illiterate and have never finished a book in your life!
twitches
Unless, of course, you want to see me go insane.
ReplyDeletelaughs and grins
ReplyDelete