Saturday, December 5, 2009

Okay, so I cracked...

Today was the horse drawn carriage day where I live.

I resisted decorating!
I really did.

Well, I resisted until an hour before it all began.
I don't want to hear anything out of any of you!
We ALL knew I was going to do it!


There was no way I was decorating the outside for Christmas, so I did the next best thing - or, really, the best thing in my opinion.  I decorated the inside of my house instead.

It fits into every ones expectations.  I have 14 windows between my living room and dining room so you can basically see straight through those two rooms when the blinds are open and the curtains are pulled back right.

There are three glass doors into the house and each has 15 panes of glass to them.  One of them is now sporting 5 lit up candy canes holiday lights!

I do GET that the lights I used were meant for outdoor use.
This means exactly nothing to me.

With the exception that the candy cane lights get stuck on the outside with those clear rubber suckers that stick to a window and then you hang the string on them.

I learned the hard way that they stick - not as well in the heat.
I NEEDED AN ENGINEER!

Since I don't have an engineer handy, like a jackass, I licked every one of those suckers to get them to stick to the door panes.

IT WAS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED!
Okay, that and I don't know where the duct tape is.

The twinkling snowflake porch lights are now dividing the living room and dining room; across the 9 foot archway.  They hang down nicely!  Soft lights.  It's says, "warmth."

And how did I accomplish this?  I did it the girl way!  With some clear tacks and the handle of a screwdriver up on a chair.

God damn it, Grant... bring back the fucking hammer for cryin' out loud!

I filled a tall crystal vase with tiny red lights and put it next to the fireplace on the floor.  My fireplace mantle has white sheers with tiny white lights underneath it to give it a soft glow - and to hide the wires.

I even have a giant snowflake up at the very top window of the attic.

The emerald green runner is on the dining room table and the fake tall tree in the dining room is also covered in tiny white lights.

I wasn't ambitious enough to chuck the actual Christmas Tree down two flights of stairs, but that's okay.  I think this is actually prettier.

Mostly because my stupid tree is only 7' and my ceilings are 9' so the tree looks totally lost with all that space above it anyway... but I'll get to that another day...

There are electrical cords EVERYWHERE and I LIKE IT LIKE THAT!
Spoken as the daughter of a Master Electrician...

It's probably a good thing that the little white Christmas trees I have in the garage are put into the ground with spikes, so I can't put them in the house...

I do, however, have a Santa being pulled by Reindeer in the garage that I keep debating about - because make no mistake, if I'm moved enough, that fat bastard is getting dragged into the house and put in front of the fireplace.

Anyway, I met the deadline [because we never run out of time!  Even at the 11th hour!] - and I have zero issue with the fact that it's all held together with spit and tacks!  It's pretty!

Merry Christmas!

-----

There are 12 cars out in front of my house.  Stopped.  People walking all around.  I can't even sit in the living room without feeling like I'm in a fish tank with everyone staring at me.  Good Lord. 

10 comments:

  1. Post photos, please? It sounds absolutely gorgeous! Or send me photos. I'm too far away to stalk you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok a few things -
    you on a chair using a screwdriver as a hammer is like Grant hanging on one foot of the side if a ladder painting (hypocticially behavior /stares)

    from am engineer - spit works

    okay i was somehow involved with decorating also - 20 mins with the GD lights.... ah ha found the little bastard that had half the string out. CHanged one more bad buld that just wouldn't light but the string was on full... WTF did half the string go out when I blinked. /twitch No...No...lights this year - it will be a green tree - no increased carbon foot print - beautiful...did someone say use candles - ummm yea - burn the house down - momentary carbon output increase but no more electric bill and no FN light string to torment me, plus a smaller carbon footprint... perfect.

    Where the hell is the spiked EggNog people - I need alcohol to deal with this!!!!

    Merry Festivus - where is the pole????

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Did you just lick the suction cups? Do I need to have you tested?"

    The wife was working all day today. I'm sure you know how tempted I was to show up with the trio and wreak havoc. But I was good, and have my Secret Santa gift to prove it. Not opening it until 12/25 though. Are you twitching yet?

    That reminds me - I'm due for a significant SS update. Not ambitions enough tonight though. Tune in tomorrow!

    We played Wii for entirely too long instead. I almost wish I hadn't fixed it.

    Almost.

    I *must* get you to try Punch Out using the Wii Fit balance board. I can already hear the profanity and see the stare...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my yes! Poor you... You have like 3 hammers. Check in the shed. Or you can just buy a new one and then have 4 hammers.....

    3 missing and 1 you know the location of for a few weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pop and Ice - I've tried to take pictures of lights and it never works out well. They all came out stupid looking.

    PM - I was the only one home, what was I suppose to do? And I understand... I'm a hostile light checker when I get it in my head. There was a time a few years ago when half the lights went out on the tree and I looked at my kids and dragged the fake plant in the living room and said, "Say hello to the new tree!" - they still tell that story and think it's funny.

    A good story trumps!

    Grant - Oh, don't give me that. I had two before and now no one can find either one of them. Remember, the big one and the "women's" one.

    Why the hell would it be in the shed?
    And why the hell would I buy a new one!
    I'm not buying a new hammer.

    Poptatari - Okay, that first line was funny...

    If you and your kids would have shown up, I would have put all of you to work!
    laughs

    "No, 4 - you're absolutely not too young or little to get out on the roof with a stapler and put up lights" - see how that would have been bad?

    I watched all of the videos that that guy made too - they were actually very, very good. I've been meaning to write him because I've decided that we're going to be friends.

    I don't own a Wii. I don't want a Wii. I don't want to be in the same room as a Wii...

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I don't own a Wii. I don't want a Wii. I don't want to be in the same room as a Wii..."

    And now I'm definitely bringing it all over to your house - maybe even the projector so we can play outside and the neighbors can some and join in and omgthisistoofuckinggreat.

    Remember, you can't spell "Poptatari" without "asshole".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just looked up a video on Punch Out.

    are...you...crazy...

    I guess I never shared with you the WWIII that was cause by the game Tekken 3.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always play Julia in Tekken 3, for the record!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm...It's been a long time. I may have to brush up on my Tekken 3. I was always a Ling Xiaoyu fan myself.

    (Do I still have that?)

    Now you *have* to tell me the story. Email if you don't want to share publicly.

    ReplyDelete